St. Gerard Majella Feast in Newark


Growing up with Aspergers, I had really interesting hobbies, like going to cities, writing papers on them, taking pictures of them.

And then blogging them. 

On one of my trips, I decided to go to Newark's North Ward for the annual Saint Gerard feast. 

Even though I am a practicing Catholic, my faith was honestly not what brought me to this feast, rather my interest for cities.

One of the reasons why I found the neighborhood of the North Ward in Newark was of its past and present ethnic makeup.

100 years ago, this was a very Italian neighborhood.  Today, however, it is mostly Hispanic.

When Italians were arriving to the country, they were viewed with fear and resentment. Many found comfort in ethnic enclaves like the North Ward.  

Keep in mind, Newark once had one of the largest Italian communities in the nation. 

Today, Hispanics constitute the majority in areas like the North Ward but also entire cities like Elizabeth, Union City, and Perth Amboy. And I am only talking about New Jersey.  There are more places in the country that have a majority Latino population.

The reason why I am interested in cities is because they often attract those who are considered the "outcasts' of society.

Whether that was the Germans and the Irish in the 1850s

The Italians and Jews in the late 1800's and early 1900s

Or the Hispanics and Asians of today.

Cities are often safe refuges for those who are considered "too distinct" whether by tongue, by skin color, disability, or any other barrier that doesn't allow them to integrate into society.

We could also include the poor. 

However that is another topic.

However what God is telling me is to "Let go, and let God"

In the same way I was stuck in these areas because I felt limited----limited as a man of color, limited because of my heritage, my disability, because I had no girlfriend ( and still don't), I feel now God is providing a better life for me. 

We just have to open to God and be patient. 

And this is why I want to touch on Saint Gerard.

Every year in Newark around the fall time, St. Lucy's in Newark devotes a feast for Saint Gerard Majella.  He was an Italian saint and is the patron saint for expectant mothers.

He also hears the prayers for the unborn.

He has performed miracles including the healing of a sick boy.

Saint Gerard was open to God's will.

One time, he was ill and once told others that if it was God's will for him to sick that he should be allowed sick. But if not, that God should allow for him to be cured.

He got healed but then got sick again.  Even though, some of us may be dismayed as to why Saint Gerard got healed but ended up becoming sick again.

However Saint Gerard trusted in God so much that he allowed God to work in Him, even if illness was God's will all along.

I remember watching Mother Angelica on EWTN talking about how God either ordains illness in our lives or allows it. However it is for the greater good.

God never gives us what we can't handle.  He also allows misfortunes in our lives but only when there is a greater good coming out of it.

And I take this time to reflect on my own life.

If I had not had Asperger's, where would I be>

Would I have had a kid by now?

Would I have been more idle?

All I know is there is a very good chance that if I had been born without Aspergers or Bipolar, I would have refused God's will and may never have been on the path to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.









A man singing to Dean Martin during the feast. It was a really great event!





















Italian pride at the festival.





This is the Museum of The Old First Ward.  The First Ward is another name of the North Ward. In it, you can look at many photos of what the Italian First Ward used to look like.

It is free although donations are recommended. Where else can you find great photos like these. that take you back to Newark prior to 1970?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gateway - A Neighborhood in Transition